Sunday, April 5, 2009

Band To Watch: Revision

As Friday swiftly approached, I was constantly reminded by my fellow peers that I should check out a concert happening at Castaways. With no other plans, I decided to take their advice to go see Revision, a local Ithacan band.

A few of my friends who are from Ithaca had been raving about Revision, but in the back of my mind I was thinking to myself, "How good can they really be?" Well ladies and gentlemen, I can honestly say that that concert was one of the best I have ever seen in my life, and I have seen greats such as Radiohead and My Morning Jacket.

Revision is made up of three Ithaca College graduates, so they know what they are doing when it comes to writing and performing music. Their music weaves in and out of a plethora of genres, making it accessible to any and every listener. I feel bad summing up this band's creative work in just a few sentences, but due to time and space constraints, I must. Revision has built up a library that showcases their innate ability to make complex rhythms, melodies and chord progressions into something that not only is listenable, but outright danceable (and genius, if I must say so myself). As soon as they have you convinced that a song is going in a certain direction they instantly change it, but it is always for the better. With all that being said, the greatest part of their music is how well they know each other as musicians, and how flawless their live jams are; once they break out into a full-blown jam, the music transcends anything else you've heard and their god-like on-stage presence is immediately felt.

In short, you must see this band live. Must! I'll leave you with a few links and an mp3, but please support this band, they deserve it! They have also just released their newest album, Jekyll And Hyde, which can be previewed and bought by clicking on the "Revision Store" link below.


No comments: