Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sasquatch Music Festival '09

I spent the last ten days in Washington state, in and around the Seattle area. I'd like to thank my good friend Brian for inviting me out there and showing me a great time. Along with some other friends, he and I headed to the Sasquatch Music Festival last weekend. The three day camping festival is held on an picturesque spot in George, Washington, with an incredible view. This year's festival was headlined by Kings of Leon, Jane's Addiction, Nine Inch Nails, and Ben Harper. First, let's take a look at the best surprises of Sasquatch 2009.

Sasquatch '09 - The Surprises


Bon Iver - Sure, I loved Bon Iver's debut album, For Emma, Forever Ago. The album is a quiet, acoustic album, and I was not expecting his concert to be very exciting. I knew I was wrong as soon as lead singer Justin Vernon sang into the mic. The sun had just set on day two, and a brisk wind blew from behind the stage, whipping his hair into a tousled mess. The high falsetto sound of Vernon's voice that defines the album was much more powerful live than I could've imagined. His band, comprised of four relaxed dudes in t-shirts and sports jerseys, was spot on. The vocal harmonies were tight, the music was loud, and the crowd of thousands sang along. All in all Bon Iver caught me totally off guard, making for one of the best shows of Sasquatch.

Bon Iver - Blood Bank

St. Vincent - Before Sasquatch I'd only heard of St. Vincent. Much like Bon Iver, there is one person behind the music. Singer and guitarist Annie Clark is the mastermind, creating music that sounds like a heavier Regina Spektor, with comparable heart. Annie and her band put on a remarkable show, captivating enough for me to forget about the unbearable heat. Definitely check out her new album, titled Actor.
St. Vincent - Marry Me

Stay tuned for more coverage of Sasquatch!

-Chris


No comments: