Friday, August 14, 2009

I ♥ tUnE-YaRdS

tUnE-YaRdS is the project of a woman called Merrill Garbus. She released her first album, BiRd-BrAiNs, almost exactly a year ago. And so began the journey it took for the music to finally reach my ears. And so the music has reached my ears, and I am currently all the better for it having happened. The album is, in a word, magical. It's hard to describe in words what it's like, it's perhaps the ultimate lo-fi listening experience, it's ultra experimental, extremely intimate, and distinctly original. Her live performances are extremely different from her studio recordings, and even though both sound great I'm going to take a stand and say I prefer the live recordings. This could potentially be because I've had a video of her playing "Hatari" on repeat for several hours now, because I think it's brilliant and extremely offbeat. Here is the video, and spend money buying her album if you like it because I think she deserves it. It's hard to believe that I missed this for the past year, and the thought of how much could be out there that I haven't heard kind of scares me sometimes, but in a good way.




tUnE-YaRdS on MySpace
Buy BiRd-BrAiNs on Amazon
-Donovan

No comments: