Sunday, August 2, 2009

Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots


Time for a confession. I've completely ignored The Flaming Lips for years. To be honest, I never even gave them a shot until about a year ago. Even a month ago, they were a band that I rarely listened to. Something happened, though, when I played Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots all the way through last week. I'd heard it before, but not like this. All at once, the album unfolded and I was left stunned, sitting there looking at layer upon layer of genius that I'd never heard before. Here is the first and last track from the album, which I think come together nicely to convey the band's larger position as pioneers of electronic pop. And hey, here's to being surprised by music you foolishly tossed aside.



-Chris

2 comments:

Sam Greene said...

congrats! I also neglected the lips until a year or two after yoshimi - and then listened to soft bulletin. Great band.

Neil Cake said...

Unbelievable. You should be ashamed of yourselves. And then relieved.

Having said that, I quite envy you. You're on the verge of many exciting Lips related discoveries.