Friday, July 31, 2009

Regina Kills It on Conan

I have to admit that Far doesn't stack up to her previous efforts in my mind. "Laughing With" is one of the tracks off the album that I didn't really care for much. But last night she dominated on the Tonight Show. I have to admit that I wasn't expecting much from the performance, and when I heard the opening chords I cringed a little bit, I was hoping she'd do "Blue Lips." But about 10 seconds in, I was cool with it and really liked it. There's something about being over-production that takes a certain beautiful edge off her voice, and it's much more present in a live performance, which is all the better for it. This is also a logical explanation for why each album she has released I've liked less and less, each album keeps getting more and more "clean." Anyway, even if you didn't like the album, I think there's a lot of merit in the performance, so here it is.



-Donovan

No comments: