Friday, December 19, 2008

Song o' the Week #2

So because I'm in the holiday spirit, I though I'd give you an extra song, because I'm that kind of guy. The first one is by an artist I have a strange affinity towards, Lightspeed Champion. Devonte Hynes, formerly of the Test Icicles, now works as Lightspeed Champion, and released his debut LP Falling Off the Lavender Bridge this year. He is known for making sweet acoustic indie songs with great lyrics, as well as performing with that ridiculous hat. I've loved this song since I first heard it, and I've played it numerous times throughout the week as I got reacquainted with how good it is. I'm throwing in the Daytrotter version, which I may like better than the original, depending on what mood I'm in.

Lightspeed Champion- Dry Lips


Lightspeed Champion- Dry Lips (Daytrotter Version)



The second is a song that I again, forgot how good it was until I heard it long after it's last play. Spencer Krug fronts both Wolf Parade and Sunset Rubdown, and I love them both. You'll know instantly if you like his voice, or if you think it's just really annoying. Wolf Parade's latest LP At Mount Zoomer didn't get as much praise this year as I thought it should, but oh well. Shut Up I Am Dreaming came out in '06, and I think this gem was the best song off it. It starts with a great little acoustic riff, and then meanders into a bit of piercing guitar before settling back down a little. It also takes claim to one of the better song titles that I've heard. As a side note that I think my fellow fork/knifers would agree on, try to avoid Wolf Parade live. Not too good.


Sunset Rubdown- Shut Up I Am Dreaming Of Places Where Lovers Have Wings



-Chandler

No comments: