Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Album Review: Hospice


"...it's pulchritudinous and delicate, eerie and nostalgic."
Stream the entire album here while you read the review.

About three weeks ago, after crowning them a Band To Watch, f/k sat down with Peter Silberman from The Antlers to talk about music and life while we anxiously awaited their newest album Hospice. Well, now it has arrived and I'm here to tell you all about it.

Hospice has been two years in the making, and it shows. It is one of the best albums, start to finish, that I have heard in a long time. I could go into detail about every explosion, every vulnerable moment and every lyric that hits home with me but then my colleagues would be angry because it would take up too much of our lovely home page.

One of my favorite parts of Hospice is the story that it tells, it's pulchritudinous and delicate, eerie and nostalgic. With every lyric we learn more while becoming more bewildered. Silberman has found new ways to evoke and convey raw emotion and, although many times it's indirect, he gives the listener insight into his or her own life. It leaves us itching for more.

Upon finishing the album I found myself calm but abashed as I wanted to listen again. But I was afraid to evade the emotions stirring within, so I sat until they settled and eventually double-clicked again.

No comments: