Sunday, February 15, 2009

Dntel Works For Me

Jimmy Tamborello has announced that he will be releasing more of his fantastic electronic music under his solo moniker, Dntel. Tamborello was one half of The Postal Service, and I feel as though he has never been given enough credit for the work he did with Gibbard on that stellar album. The new album will consist of three CD's, and is titled Early Works For Me If It Works For You II. It's a mix of unheard instrumental songs from early in Tamborello's career. Tamborello had this to say about the upcoming release, set for April 14th this spring.

These early tracks, inspired by Aphex Twin, Mu-Ziq, Warp Records and anything else I'd been listening to, were all instrumental (save a few vocal samples) and created using one sampler/synthesizer (a Kurzweil K2000s) and some basic midi sequencing software. I was always really interested in adding vocals to weird electronic music, and by the time Early Works For Me If It Works For You and Something Always Goes Wrong were released I finally had a computer with the capability to record full vocal tracks more easily. This led to the next Dntel full-length, Life Is Full Of Possibilities, which was released in 2001 on Plug Research. I haven't really done much instrumental work
since.

A couple years ago I decided to listen to a bunch of old DATs of stuff I had worked on in the process of making LIFOP. Although a lot of it was rough or unfinished, it got me thinking of the old days and I decided to collect my favorites. That got me listening to the old Phthalo releases as well and somehow it all evolved slowly into this 3-CD set. It includes Early Works For Me If It Works For You and Something Always Goes Wrong, both re-mastered, as well as the new collection of DAT discoveries, Early Works For Me If It Works For You II.

-Jimmy Tamborello

Here is a sample from the upcoming release. It's called "Loneliness Is Having No One To Miss" and it features Tamborello's wonderful production skills. The drums are tight and blistering fast, backed up by aetherial synths and bass. If this is any indication, Early Works For Me is going to be a wonderful album. Remember folks, April 14th. I hope you enjoy

Dntel - Loneliness Is Having No One To Miss
Buy Dntel: Amazon

Dntel MySpace




(Isn't the album cover gorgeous?)

-Chris

No comments: