Sunday, January 18, 2009

Band To Watch: Local Natives

This is a new feature here on fork/knife. Every week I will be posting about a band that is short on myspace hits, but big on musical ability. So with that being said, I cordially welcome you to the first installment of 'Bands To Watch'.


Okay, so I posted about this band, Local Natives, on Christmas because I liked them so much that I felt like revealing them to the world (yes, the world) was my gift to the human race. The Local Natives are a band from southern California that spent half of 2008 recording their debut album, Gorilla Manor, in a two bedroom house (aka Gorilla Manor) that they also lived in. Upon finishing the album the band set off on their first tour. On Friday night they played a show at TT the Bears in Boston, but before setting up camp there for the night the boys decided to stop by and do a Flophouse Session for Band in Boston. This is the first time that we have been able to listen to decent recordings of songs other than the ones the band itself had released, and let me tell you, I like what I hear.

Since I previously posted about the band I will keep this one short and sweet. All you have to know about the Local Natives is that when you listen to them you will notice three things - though there is much more:
(1) They execute the three part harmony exquisitely,
(2) their melodies are catchy as hell, and
(3) you will be singing along.

With that I leave you with a live video and mp3 of their single 'Airplanes'.


Watch it in high quality by following the previous link and then clicking "watch in high quality" in the lower right-hand corner of the video.

Local Natives - Airplanes


-Bishop

No comments: