Friday, January 23, 2009

Song o' the Week #7


So while most of us are going through an Animal Collective/Panda Bear phase right now, I found time to be going through a múm phase as well. múm is an Icelandic group (yep, there are others besides Sigur Rós) whose sound can't be described well with words, but I'm going to give it my best. They sound like if Explosions in the Sky were electronic and toned down a little. Multiple small electronic sounds fit together beautifully and rise and fall to create a lush, and at times rigid atmosphere. They've also transitioned a great deal from where they started, adding additional instruments and even lyrics. I first heard them when their latest LP Go Go Smear the Poison Ivy came out in '07, which I didn't really listen to except the fantastic "They Made Frogs Smoke 'Til They Exploded." I recently stumbled upon them again through shuffle on my iTunes and discovered their 2000 debut Yesterday was Dramatic - Today is OK. It is really an achievement and I strongly suggest buying it, for it's one of those albums that needs to be listened to all the way through. This week's song is from Remixed, which, as you might have guessed, is an album that features a bunch of múm songs remixed. The song doesn't really reflect what they sound like, but I enjoy it too much not to post it. In addition, since we're such nice guys, I'm going to throw in one of my favorite early Animal Collective songs for those who don't really know where they started from. Because, like I said, it's also an Animal Collective phase. Enjoy.

múm- The Ballad of Broken Birdie Records (Ruxpin Remix II)
Buy Artist: iTunes

Animal Collective- Essplode
Buy Song: iTunes

-Chandler

No comments: