Monday, January 12, 2009

Great Collaborations


I think it's always great when two established artists come together and collaborate on a project, whether it be an entire group, an album, or just a song. The "What's Mine Is Yours" principle usually shines through, and we see a finished product that represents the strengths of both artists. Some famous past collaborations are Bob Dylan and The Band, Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, and Ben Gibbard and Jimmy Tamborello of darlings the Postal Service. Perhaps my favorite collaboration of 2008 came from Ben Folds' mediocre album, Way To Normal. While the album was not anything spectacular, he further showed the "What's Mine Is Yours" principle on the fourth track, a knockout duet with Regina Spektor. It should be known that Regina is my favorite solo artist out there today, and she is stunningly brilliant all on her own, but she is certainly willing to help out a fellow indie friend on this song.

Ben Folds & Regina Spektor - You Don't Know Me

-Donovan

1 comment:

Liltaggy said...

I LOVE this collaboration, but I wanted more Regina and less Ben. I want them to try again, though.