Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Chad VanGaalen: Banjo Like It's Nobody's Business

The first time I heard Chad VanGaalen was at my friend Brian's radio show. VanGaalen had sent his new album, Soft Airplane, to our school's station for some publicity, and Brian played it on a whim. I'm quite glad he did. This song, the first song on the album, is called "Willow Tree". It's a sweet song, with deceptively dark lyrics. Much like the album, "Willow Tree" has a great aesthetic, it's laid back instrumentation underneath VanGaalen's waivery vocals. At times, he sounds so frail that he might just keel over right then and there, but I think it's an endearing quality. Soft Airplane is a good record that deserves a listen to. I hope you enjoy.

Chad VanGaalen - Willow Tree
Buy On: Amazon

Chad VanGaalen's MySpace Page

-Chris

No comments: